The Dentist Magazine.

International audience for BOS jaw surgery resource

Published: 08/05/2018

More than 100,000 patients from more than 120 countries have viewed the British Orthodontic Society’s Your Jaw Surgery resource in the two years since the website was launched. 

The resource can be found here and consists of videos of real consultations as well as patient stories and an animation explaining treatments. The 5 most popular videos are, in order:

  • Mandibular advancement

  • Maxillary advancement with mandibular setback

  • Bimaxillary osteotomy for open bite

  • Joint clinic

  • Aftercare 

While around 90 per cent of visitors are from the UK, the remaining 10 per cent are from countries as far away as Australia, Zimbabwe, Pakistan and Russia. After the UK, the top 10 countries where the films have been viewed are Ireland, the United States, Malaysia, Finland, Canada, New Zealand and Germany. In the UK, the regions where most views originated were London, Birmingham, Kent, Glasgow and Manchester. 

Caroline McCarthy, a consultant orthodontist and chair of the Working Party, which produced the resource, commented, “We wanted to develop a patient-centred resource, made with real patients, for real patients. We are really delighted to see that it has become so popular nationally and worldwide. A big thank you to all those who contributed, particularly the patients, who gave their time and experiences so freely.”